Friday, October 16, 2009

A New Perspective

We have been living in MA for 2 months now! The transition has been much easier than I was expecting, but it's still an adjustment. One difference we've noticed here is the language. I heard foul language growing up, who hasn't, but maybe it wasn't too bad because it was the Bible belt. Here, the F-bomb is used so casually! I've been shocked!

I started a job recently as a PCA (personal care attendant) for a lady with disabilities. During the interview she asked me if there was anything in particular that she needed to be aware of since I'm LDS. I explained to her that I don't smoke, drink, etc. and that I don't use and don't like foul language. I told her that I don't like hearing the Lord's name used in vain and we talked about how the f-word is used way to frequently here. I really appreciated that she said she would try to watch her language around me.

After a few weeks of working, I could tell that she was making an effort to not use certain cuss words, but I was still bothered by the frequency of the Lord's name being used in vain. I had thought about bringing it up, but I was a little nervous too. Thankfully she started a conversation in which I felt comfortable to tell her. I was shocked to realize she had no idea what I meant by not using the Lord's name in vain. I had to explain to her that we only use certain words when we're respectfully talking to or about Him. I was grateful that she was respectful and she said she understood what I meant. She said she didn't even realize that she ever used those words! Not long after she said "Oh my..." and I felt comfortable enough to point it out and she was surprised that she had said it! She also didn't realize that he**and d**n are considered swear words. I thought it was so interesting that someone wouldn't know they are cuss words.

Thankfully, she is very kind and is really going to try to respect me and not use certain language around me. I learned a lesson that not everyone knows or understands the same things that I do. It was good for me to see something from another person's perspective and realize that they're not trying to be offensive or brash. I wonder what I do that I don't even realize, that bothers other people.

2 comments:

Katie B said...

Wow Jenna, good for you bringing all that up with her! I'm still trying to figure out how to talk about it with my coworkers. Why was that easier in high school? You're being a good example for her. You're awesome Jenna!

Allison said...

That's definitely a tricky situation, but way to go! I'm sure that job isn't easy but admire you for doing it.