So you know how I said it was diverse, well holy cow we really got a taste of it when we went to the RMV (the DMV everywhere else) because everyone has to go there, rich, poor, young, old, etc. Chris was there longer than me and he said he heard at least 9 different languages spoken while he was waiting! We saw lots of native garb from all over the world: African, Egyptian (we think), Orthodox Jew, Muslim, etc. There was definitely no majority there.
Things I disliked about the RMV: Massachusetts will charge you up the whazoo for anything and everything. It cost $100 each for driver's licenses plus $125 more to get the car registered. Yikes! Our car insurance doubled here as well. Ughhh. The lady helping was quite short (not height wise, but most people are here in both ways) and like to use the "f" word when she couldn't find her pen.
Things I'm learning about an old house, Mindy you're right, there are always repairs to be made! Our sink doesn't work, the plumber is coming tomorrow. Outlets don't get enough current to power electronics, very few switches and outlets, and no overhead lighting in the living room. It will be interesting having a house heated by radiators in the winter. We'll see how that goes.
Cool things: tomorrow we get to drive to my parent's house for a family BBQ and swim party. My sister and bro-in-law came up today from NYC, so we'll all be together. Then Sunday we get to take (for me) the dreaded family pictures. I hate pictures of me. But we get to take them on the beach! Yay!
4 comments:
Hey! love your blog! I feel like a stalker but I love reading about what you guys have been up to! Looks like it's been a fun summer!
Craig has requested that i also tell you we paid $400 to register our stupid little car in TX. When we asked why they told us because "your former president was from the great state of Texas" makes sense huh?...oh the joys of being a "grown up"
:)
Hey Jenna, I found your blog from Karlie! It's so good to catch up on what you are doing. It looks like you had a great trip! I love the picts.
Absolutely love the pics...how fun is that..I especially loved the one of the whole line of you walking the beach...way cool. Have a great fall weekend. Miss you guys!!!
Post a Comment