Yea! We have internet now! Life is so different in this "foreign" land. Here's some cool, funny, and interesting things we've discovered so far:
-Everyone watches the Red Sox, we were running errands and every store with a tv had it on and we could see it on in all the living rooms as we drove by.
-The Targets near us all have Starbucks in them.
-Everything is coffee flavored
-Breaking myths: People (for the most part) are extremely helpful and friendly in person. The drivers are really the only rude ones.
-I haven't heard to many accents.
-Everything is so close, yet seems so far. Maybe it's bajillion stoplights or just that everything is so close together, but it seems like things are much farther than the really are.
-It's not humid everyday. Only certain days, but I don't know the pattern yet.
-It is so diverse here! We live in an area with many Italians (some streets are painted with green, white and red instead of the normal white and yellow lines), Chinese, and it seems like there also quite a few Indian places too. Many of the signs in the area are Chinese. We found the coolest produce, bakery, etc. market owned by Italians. It has every kind of produce you can imagine for really cheap. We only tried the dried kiwi...interesting. I also felt like I was back in France when I saw their selection of fresh cheeses. They have yummy looking pastries, fresh pasta made on-sight, a salad bar and specialty meats.
-Within 1.5 miles from our house we've found a Trader Joes, Whole Foods Market, 2 Shaw's grocery stores, and 2 Super Stop and Shops!
-Our street is so quiet...no more interstate in the backyard and train-rattled windows!
-We live in an old place, well old for us, it was probably built in the 1910s or 1920s with original molding and doors. Cool charm, not cool smells or repairs or lack of AC.
-Streets are so dang confusing here! We get confused with the GPS and we would be utterly lost without it! Thank heavens for Mr. Tomtom.
-There are NO craft stores like the ones I am attached to in Utah. There are lots of paint and other types of craft stores, but Provo Craft in unknown here. No Roberts, no Hobby Lobbies, only 1 JoAnne's superstore in the whole state (and not close)...it makes me want to cry.
-I have never lived in a ward that is so incredibly on top of things. No one knew we were coming until Sunday and that day I saw a girl that I worked on a group project with back in my freshman year. She and her husband fed us dinner and let us hang out at there place Sunday night. I just found out now since I just got internet, but I had 4 emails from different people on Sunday! Including my new VT assignment!
Monday: My companion called and introduced herself, wanted me to help her move into her place on Tuesday.
Tuesday: While helping here, my VTs called me to come visit on Wednesday.
Wednesday: One of my VTers came by with pastries from an Italian bakery a couple blocks away. I like her.
Our ward has a welcome packet with recommended everything! Our ward has so many students, young professionals that are transient, that the ward has a turn over rate of 40% per year! The nursery has 30-40 kids! There are only a few families that have been here for a long time. We'll probably be one of those eventually. Everyday is a learning experience here! We definitely miss our Utah friends and favorite places, but we're loving our new home! We'd love for old friends to come visit our new place. More news to come and maybe when we finally get settled I'll get back to writing about our Europe trip.
6 comments:
ah... your list made me miss living in a big city. the cheap produce is UNBEATABLE! and i am so jealous you are near a trader joe's... why doesn't utah jump on that bandwagon already? miss you guys!
Yay for Trader Joe's!!! They're everywhere here, and we LOVE them! Glad you're enjoying your new home! Miss ya!!
Wow, you guys! Sounds like such a grand adventure! And it seems you have good open eyes and hearts to embrace and enjoy! What great memories you will have in a few years!
Miss you!
I've never been to Trader Joe's so I'll have to check it out. Maci...you would love it, it's not the same as NYC, but has some similarities I think.
Craft store. Try AC Moore in Natick. Not nearly as fabulous as Provo but better than the JoAnn's out here. Sighs...(Deidre too lazy to sign out of Brad's)
Oh Jenna my wonderful friend.. Sounds like things are going well in your new move! I LOVED the entry. :) I miss you way too much! I think I might just have to make a trip out there in the near future. Trader Joe's is delicious. (The pizza dough it very good, Carley taught me that one) Tell Chris hello1 Miss you!
Post a Comment