Monday, April 26, 2010

The Lion King




As usual, this is about a month late...oops.

In March, Chris and I had the chance to go see The Lion King at the Boston Opera House. We started the evening by having a wonderful dinner at an interesting Italian place called The Ivy. It was not your typical Italian restaurant, with unusual menu items and small portion sizes. The prices didn't seem too bad, until you think that you get a whole lot less food for your money, but that's okay, because then we didn't feel super full at the end! We shared a lobster mac n' cheese, the grilled Berskhire pork loin (with pureed potatoes--yum) and a side of potato pancetta "risotto". Yummy! It was all delicious.

Then we walked around the corner to the Opera House, which was GORGEOUS! What a fantastic venue! I've never been in such a beautiful theater-bedecked with red damask walls, lots of gilding, and plenty of marble. They've done such a nice job restoring it. Like I had been told, the costumes are definitely the best part of the show. They were incredible! I loved the giraffes! They looked so real! An actor wore special stilts on all four limbs, but the ones on the hands were slightly taller than the ones on the feet. I don't know how they walked on them, but they did a great job. I didn't really care for the new songs, but I loved the percussionists were showcased throughout the show. What a fun night!
Ewww I look weird....

2 comments:

scooping it up said...

You don't look weird, you look lovely! I miss you. That restaurant looks really fun. You guys still need to check out Sweet Basil in Needham. That is some yummy italian. :)

Brad said...

Such a cute photo of the two of you! And I didn't like music either, I saw it in London and would have appreciated the costumes more if I hadn't been falling asleep!

Deidre