Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Roughin' It

We were brave, adventurous, excited, and maybe a little crazy. What did we do? We went on at 4 day, 3 night camping trip with a 6 month old! We had never been camping together, much less with a baby! When our friends, the Christensens, said they were going and invited a group of people, we decided that we couldn't resist the excitement and had to go. Over Memorial Day Weekend we camped at Camp Joseph in Vermont. It is located on the same property owned by our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, as the memorial and birthplace of Joseph Smith. I had never been to the camp and was amazed by the beauty of the green mountain state. It is breathtaking! The weather forecast was looking a little scary with chances of thunderstorms and possibly tornadoes, but we were lucky and had more wind than anything the first night and a big downpour the last night. We stayed dry in our tent, but some our friends were not so lucky:( The wind on the first night was so freaky that it actually kept me up most of the night. Yeah pretty much allllllll night. Honestly the scariest part was when it got really, really gusty and the bugs got louder and louder and then it cut off...a very eerie silence. Friday involved packing while Chris was busy. I had to take desperate measures with Landon so that I could get the packing done!
The traffic was awful because of some accidents and the holiday AND we took of later than planned, so as we got there Chris went to work with our friends to set finish setting up their tents and setting up ours. Landon and I hung out in the screened tent because the noseeums (little bugs you can't see) were out in droves! Probably didn't help that we camped near the stagnant pond. One of the best things about camping with friends is that everyone gets to hang out when the kiddos go to bed! We played games, talked, roasted marshmallows and starbursts, made banana boats and roasted apples and just stayed up too late having fun EVERY night.
Saturday we had fun exploring Vermont. We took a short hike to see some waterfalls.
Landon thinks the waterfall is amazing! Actually the sequence of photos I took before and and after this is pretty funny when you watch them in order.
We had lunch at the Pie in the Sky. The Vermonter pizza was amazing! It had no sauce, olive oil, apple slices, and Vermont cheddar cheese.
Beautiful country!
We visited the Cold Hollow Cider Mills. Although it wasn't apple season, they still had free samples of delish apple cider and not-so-free-but-still-so-delish cider donuts. Mmmmm.
Now trip to Vermont is complete without a stop to the Ben and Jerry's factory. The sample was the Late Night Snack and it was soooo good. I was skeptical at first as it had chocolate covered potato chips in it, but oh it was tasty.
Sunday we went to church and walked to the memorial. Not pictured are the bloody dots, streaks, and pools on Landon and Chris and the other kids. Those darn noseeums don't hurt when they bite but they make you bleed like crazy. They seemed to like the hairline and especially Landon's ears, so they were constantly full of blood.
I had so much fun taking pictures of the Cammack family! They are such wonderful friends!
Landon and David love each other!
On Sunday we had a big dinner with all the families we camped with. The dutch oven food was fantastic! I think we all gained a few pounds on this trip as we all ate wonderful food, which the credit goes to the guys on that one!
Thank you, new tent! We had a great weekend!

5 comments:

Erica said...

Looks like fun! I love Landon's face when he sees the waterfall, so cute!

scooping it up said...

wish we had been able to go on this trip. next year! and that Landon pic looking at the waterfall is HYSTERICAL.

Jenna said...

So I may have stretched the truth a bit. Landon was facing the waterfall when I took that picture, but I think by looking at the sequence of pictures that it's actually a pre-sneeze face, but we call it the waterfall face:)

Britni said...

This looks so fun! Oh and by the way, heard you were in the same ward as our good friends - Ashley and Cameron Nelson. Hope you're doing great!

Jenna said...

Yes, Ashley and Cameron were up here! We're so sad they left! Actually it was Mindy who told me that they were in your ward. Small world, huh?!