One of my student's was baptized yesterday and she has been asking me repeatedly to come. I love this student, especially since she reminds me so much of my sister Alyssa. I really wanted to go and of course Chris was supportive. So we stopped at Deseret Book to get her some things and to get stuff for Alyssa since her baptism is this coming Saturday. Then we drove up to Sandy, ran into a store to get a gift bag, ran to the bagel shop for something to eat, and drove to the church where I thought it was. There was only 1 car in the parking lot, but we saw a lady walking around, so I asked her where the ward met, and she gave me the address of another church building. Well we switched the south and east and found another empty parking lot. So we frantically drove around looking for any church building with cars in the lot. Luckily we found it! We were just a little late, but since it was a stake baptism day we were okay. Since they were short on witnesses, Chris got to participate. Her mom did a spotlight and talked about how she loved her teacher (me!) and they served a nice luncheon. I love this student and her mom expressed how much she loves me, so I'm so glad we got to go.
Then we drove back to Provo, did our crazy Target run, went to Emergency Essentials to try and decide on our 72 hour kits, went to Barnes and Noble to pick out books on cd for my classroom, ran home and changed, and went to a dinner-dance on campus. It's a big band night to honor Veterans. Synthesis provides the music, BYU caters, and it is a fun evening! I was really tired so we left early (about 10:00) and were driving back home.

We live in the ghetto so there are TONS of cops! We're used to seeing them all the time. Well we were driving alongside one, when we saw 2 more. We started talking about how even though you know you're not doing anything wrong, they still make you nervous. So one of them followed us for a couple blocks, while we were having this discussion, and after making a left-hand turn, the cop flashed his lights. We were like "seriously?" What did we do wrong? We weren't speeding, our lights work, our seat belts were on, we weren't on the phone. We still have no idea. So the cop comes over and asks for Chris's license, car registration, and insurance. He pulls out the ID, I get the insurance and realize it expired a few days before. Great. So the cop wasn't too happy about the expired insurance card (we do have current insurance though, just not proof). Then he gave us a hard time about having out of state plates and license. He interrogated us about work, school, where we live, how long, etc. Of course, we had just gotten new plate (California though) for the car and hadn't had a chance to put them on. Which made him really not happy. We had the plates in the car. So he went to his car and awhile later came back and tried to act nice that he wasn't charging us the $500 fine for not having proof of current insurance.
He also gave us a lecture about the plates, said we have to put them on, show them to a cop, then show up in court in less than 20 days to not get fined and be arrested. When we looked at the ticket, it says you can't do it in less than 10 days or more than 20. How convenient. Whatever. We still have no idea why! You can't see the expiration date on the tags, in the dark, while you're driving. That was our Saturday adventure!
6 comments:
Holy smokes! I'm stressed out from just reading about your day! That dumb cop- do you want me to go beat him up for you?
That's so lame! Was the Big Band night fun? Cause I totally wanted to go to it.
What a day! I hope you enjoyed the dance. Synthesis, sigh, that used to be me! Okay, not just me, but I did play with Synthesis for several years. Hope your next week is better!
oh man that's awful!
Hey Jenna! How are you? Hows married life? I just found your blog through Brynne's. Sounds like yall are having lots of fun! Chris & I have a blog but it's private, so if you want to see it, send me an e-mail and i'll send you an invite. (cjroundy@gmail.com)
Hope you're having a great day! :-)
They look up random plate on their computer and can tell if it is late!
Post a Comment